While I was walking back from Pick 'n Pay, the South African equivalent of Wegmans, groceries in hand, I saw something that made me step back for a moment and stop walking. Standing outside the Pick 'n Pay was a man in uniform (I think) holding a gun. Not just a small handgun that you see the police carry in schools and such, but a three foot long black gun with two handles and a long barrel. I've never seen a gun like that in person... only in the movies and on the news. It scared the crap out of me to be honest. I quickly walked past him and went home. When I got back I told my flatmate (or 'Digsmate' as I've been told I should say), and she seemed to think he was a policeman probably guarding a money truck that was delivering to the local banks. Either way, it still scared me. So I thought I would update you on the safety precautions they take here (I know it probably makes my Mom feel better!)
The first picture is the gate that you need to enter in order to get into my apartment complex. There's a little button you press on the key that the landlord gives you and the doors open. It also has a pedestrian gate that you enter a code into. The second picture is my bedroom window. Those are burglar bars, almost every Capetonian has them. The last picture is the gate to my front door. The wooden door always automatically locks, and the gate we sometimes lock at night. Some people call this apartment complex "too safe"... so don't worry Mom, I'm gonna be fine :)
1 comment:
Well, Kel, I have to admit - my first thoughts were - "gee, I hope this isn't Kel's place!" Then I continued to read - yikes!! I guess it's good you are THAT safe, but the thoughts that you need that much protection, well, hmmmmmmm..... I love you!!
Post a Comment